Tuesday, July 25, 2006

FIRST ENTRY

Put the introduction aside, i guess this is my first entry. Note of reminder: The Periodical will not enjoy any frequent update as i will pretty much focusing on dunia vovin.

So what i'm going to put for my first entry here? Something meaningful one might guess. Something to make world a better place? Something that we can ponder and think for greater good? Something for mankind's benefit?

No.

I would write about myself. A self-indulgence type of entry.

Basically about how i love to write.

As far as i could remember, my kindergarden plus early years of primary school doesn't consist anything about 'being a writer'. During that time, i'm more into drawing. Sketching, colouring and paint something. My dream is to become Datuk Lat or Rejabhad, or maybe Ujang. Their are my idols. I want to be comic artis. shortly after that an introduction of Jim Lee, Frank Miller and all those USA comic artist. Yes, i want to be like them.

I draw, keep drawing, make a few D.I.Y comics and give it to my friends. They read it, they like it. I even have my imaginary publishing company. Have my own logo. I would not tell the name though. Trust me, when you're 7,8 years old, that word is something avant garde. Now, hmmm....!. My teacher even scolded me because of my dream. Why yes, apart dreaming something that more prestigious, more secure, more elite like being engineer, lawyer, doctor or even teacher, i choose one path that considered (at least that time) as 'no future type of job'.

But hey, grew up as stubborn boy does give some light to it. I keep drawing, pushing for more and more good story to draw.

My path changed, but still in 'no future type' of world.

One day, as i'm remember, shortly after UPSR (or maybe end of year examination). We don't have anything to do. Class is over but we have to stay at school. I take a piece of paper and start writing a story. Puntianak story. I put all my classmate names as character inside. About an hour or so, voila! My 3 page story about a group of student encounter puntianak finished. That piece of crap being passed to all my classmates. Everybody read it passionately, most of it because they want to know if their names inside, not because of the writing. There it goes. The tringger. The spark. The World War I Franz Ferdinand's of my writing.

Of course, with that such brilliant piece of crap, they demand the sequel. Well, it didn't take too long for that, just like all those Tinseltown product. Few of my classmates reprise their character in the sequel, 'Pontianak II', a day after the previous one. There it goes. Two masterpiece within two days. I bet Tolkien could only dream for such things.

So technically, writing become one of my passion. My glorious drawing era come to the end. I used blank 'Buku Latihan' for that purpose. Some of it original (60,70%) and most of it totally rip-off, mainly from Star Wars. I still remember one of my friend, during form one (ACS, Ipoh) would come to me and ask "Mana Cerita ciplak ko?". Of course that time i would deny by saying it crafted from my own original idea. But i guess in some weird sense of way, that incident makes me want to think unusual theme everytime i wrote something. Even now.

My not-so-big-but-i-called-it-big-break as unpublished writer come during form 2 in MRSM Gerik. As usual, my short-novel will include characters among my friends. Just like reason above, they like it because their name are inside the story. I wrote short-novel titled 'Invader', imagining my school being attacked by porcupine-like creature from outer space. Invader become instant hits. Everybody talked about it. I even had few fans. One of them is my 'dream girl' (during that 'hingusan' time). Accidently, My friend happened to tell about it to our Bahasa Melayu teacher, Cikgu Norazah Lim. She want to read it. Reluctant at first, but eventually i give her 'Invader' and few other stuff. From then, it create some sort of bond between me and Cikgu Norazah. She will comments on every short-novel i wrote. She wish me good luck during my final day at Mrsm and hope one day i would become 'Sasterawan Negara'. Unfortunately, i never send to any magazine or newspaper as i feel my writing is not good enough. 'Budak Sepultura' is the only story published, in our own school magazine. Because i involve in it.

I guess my writing grew a bit mature along that. One of my story after PMR entitled 'Peace, Love, Empathy' (Yes, the title is inspired from Kurt Cobain's suicide letter, yes!). A futuristic piece about world war and independence. I guess that is the best and most satisfying story i ever wrote during my school years era. I wish someday i could re-write and publish it (and of-course, with another title, hikhik!).

There, summary of my early days as unpublished writer. Maybe i tell you about my other era next time, my journalist and magazine era. Again, writing is my passion (sort of, apart of staring beautiful boobs, daydreaming, playing PC-Pinball and whine about why i'm still single for the time being). I hope Aliya Elyana is not my final nove thoughl. There's lot more to learn for sure. I'm nowhere near to any great Malaysian writers, but i do hope, if not millions, just two, maybe two person could read and appreciate my stuff (if it's really good anyway).

Have a good day!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha. Allright allright,,, hands down. I'm second then.

4:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe, im third! kalau tak aku tak ajak ko menulis dlm karyaNet.

11:52 am  
Blogger jimi said...

Vovin, now i know you are a good writer. Baik ko bagi skrip pontianak tu kat Amir Muhamad ke sapa ke. Keep writing kay.

11:46 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

budak sepultura, hahahahah, aku tau, metal band kan? ko lagi hebat dari aku lah..aku masa muda, apa2 aku tulis, terus kena rejek, sebab semuanya terlalu solemn dan mellow..dan aku dha buang dah semua yg aku tulis masa aku muda tu..hmmpphhh..

11:57 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home